Thursday, May 7, 2009

Recycle your used items - Where?

Last year I wrote a small post on weird items to recycle. I am always amazed to find new and useful programs that help families become more green. Today while browsing the internet I came across the Radio Shack Trade-In Program. Basically you pick the item you wish to trade in, answers a few questions to determine an appraised value, print out the prepaid shipping label, mail it off and await your Radio Shack gift card. Not to shabby. I took it for a spin and I found that one of my old cell phone collecting dust could get me about $16. I may have to try it out.

Having been up to my eye balls in spring cleaning dust, I decided to search a bit further and locate other programs for recycling household goods. Here are some great programs:

  1. CALL TO PROTECT program "enables people to retire their wireless phones in a manner that will help the environment and raise funds for national organizations working to end partner violence. Funds generated through CALL TO PROTECT collections have provided grants totaling over $3.5 million to agencies leading the campaign against domestic violence."
  2. New Eyes for the Needy appreciates donations of: plastic eyeglasses, reading glasses and sunglasses in good condition; metal eyeglasses in any condition; hearing aids; pairs of prescription lenses; watches, silver and gold jewelry, and costume jewelry; silverware and giftware; dentures with gold inlays.
  3. Have any old suitcases? Why not donate them to http://www.suitcasesforkids.org/ . This organization provides suitcase to kids in foster care who need them most.
  4. Old Phone books? Send them back to the yellow pages!
  5. Foam packing peanuts! http://www.epspackaging.org/info.html
  6. Recycle all your non rechargeable batteries here.



    Do you know of a 'not so normal' item to recycle? leave a comment and tell us how.

No comments: