Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Excuse me, Pardon me, Coming through

It's that time again. Next Thursday, Neela is headed back to the Endocrinologist to find out if these shots she has endured each day, for the last 3 months have helped her grow.

In the beginning, it was a bit overwhelming for my poor little one. All she understood was that 'thingy' mommy played with caused her pain and she wanted nothing to do with it. Over time we learned a few tricks and discovered sometimes hiding what I was doing was easier.... other times being upfront meant less struggle. It still depends on her mood and she is starting to understand that she HAS to have it EVERY DAY. We told her it is just like her vitamins and it helps her grow big and keep her heart strong.

After each shot she has the privilege of disposing the needle. She takes great pride in snatching it from my hands and heading to the sharp box. I give her a boost and she drops it in the slot with a bout of good riddance.

In the last 90 days we have also learned where NOT to give the shot. In the training we are told we need to insert the meds subcutaneously and the thigh, stomach, back of arm and back of leg are all great places. I knew from the get go that I was not about to insert a needle into her tummy. We choose the arm as our first injection and all went well. It wasn't until day 3 that we noticed she was bruising, which is normal, but I wondered if her arm was too tiny for the shot in the first place.(It is a tiny needle but she doesn't have a lot of fat to start with). We moved on to rotating around the leg (picking a new shot site each time) and we are all much happier.

On a positive note she can now reach the door knobs and she has moved out of all her 6-12 mnth clothing!! I will let you all know how it goes..... Think big thoughts!!

Til then -

~Amanda

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad she is doing much better. I just know she will grow and become such a big girl.