Monday, May 25, 2009

What do you do Memorial Day weekend?




I think it is the curse of Memorial Day weekend but 5 years ago on May 30th 2004, we had been in Florida for all of 25 days when we had to rush our oldest daughter to the ER with an asthma attack. There are 2 hospitals in town so we chose the closer of the two (we have learned that closer doesn't mean better) after over an hour wait they confirmed she was having difficulty breathing and gave her some meds (yup you read it right an hour!) and then prescribed oral pred and sent us home. Not a lot of places to fill the prescription especially on a holiday but we found one and she got better.





Fast forward to present day and I find myself with another trip to the ER. This time with my middle daughter and a rash that erupted 4 days ago. At first it looked like chicken pox, then the red outline made me think ringworm. As the days progressed so did the rash. It began to get hot, raised and even more itch intense. I was at a loss. I called my brother, sister-in-law, mother, mother-in-law..... everyone. I even sent text messages which included the picture. Noone knew what it was but we all agreed the ER was our best bet over the long weekend. Well it turned out to be a very bad case of hives. So bad in fact that with in the hive patches there were small pustules! She was prescribed oral pred and sent home. This is her second case of hives in 2 weeks. The first case was small and located on her arms and belly. We continue to rack our brains for a cause. This new case is so strange because the rash appeared only on her thighs and feet. No new foods, lotions, toys, or pets...... We will continue to be wary of all the things she comes in contact with. One thing is for sure... We never have a dull Memorial Day weekend!




2 comments:

Jennie said...

Ay yi yi, Amanda! What a way to spend not one, but 2 Memorial Days. It's memorable that's for sure. That is so odd about the hives. I have an issue with something that gives me swelling and itching on my hands- I don't know what it is, but it is just something in the air when I walk in the woods. Not all woods, not all times of the year. But, it could be something in the air for your little one, too. I hope you can get to the bottom of it soon!

AgelessThings said...

Lots of hugs and kisses to you and your little one.
Hope the meds are working.